That's Silly!

Using the word 'silly' is not a bad thing, right? Well, according to my mother, it is! She equates it, I think, to the word 'dumb' or 'stupid.' I found this out when my 2-year-old daughter was talking to her and said something to the effect of: "Silly Grandma!" Well, I'll be! That set my mom off straight away. She proceeded to yell at my daughter for no good reason! She told her not to talk to her that way. I tried, futilely, to explain to her that 'silly' was not a bad word. She wasn't convinced and I think it still bothers her if my daughter says it. How the heck is she gonna tell me how to speak my own language? The problem is, my mother, if she learned one version of something a long time ago, there's no way to tell her any different. She might be right or close, but she doesn't get the concept of different connotations. Another problem: she interprets American things through Vietnamese culture. You just can't do that. But try telling Mommy Dearest that!

No comments: